Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Day 10 + Happy Hour


It's Happy Hour time!!  Relax, y'all.  We did not add alcohol in our cocktails.  We can only pretend they are gin and tonic cocktails.  Last year when I went on whole 30 days, at bars or restaurants when I met my girlfriends or friends for some drinks, I ordered club water or mineral water with lime or lemon. That way I would feel like I was included in the crowd who were drinking alcoholic beverage.  The best of not drinking alcohol around your friends in the crowd is you don't spill your secrets, none of that at all. You keep shit to yourself. Alcoholic beverages are like truth serums!  Agreed!??  Hehe.  Anyway, drinking alcohol could lead to weight gain or binging on crap food that you were not supposed to eat.  You would  regret it so very much the next day and then it would get harder and harder to get back on the wagon each day.  Trust me, it happened to me before.  



Happy Hour cocktails!  (Mineral or carbonated water with a lemon or lime slice)

Several hours earlier today, before noon crossfit, I had some time to kill.  I instantly decided to make homemade coconut butter.  So easy.  A lot cheaper than store bought coconut butter or manna.  Taste is different but close enough or better than nothing.  I don't care if it doesn't taste like the store bought, but I like to save $$.  I like to get off my ass around in my house to make something homemade.  *snap*

You will need a food processor, any brand.  As long as it runs good.  1 cup of coconut flour and 1 cup + 2 TBS of coconut oil and 20 drops of vanilla creme Stevia liquid.  An air tight container or two.  (pictures below)

Food Processor, coconut flour or meal, coconut oil, and vanilla creme stevia liquid (not pictured).  Don't have that stevia liquid, plain is fine or stevia powder, I d say maybe 2 tsp of stevia powder?  I haven't experimented that with stevia powder yet.  You will need to try it yourself and let me know how that goes)

In the food processor they go.

Turn on the machine and process until smooth like cream butter. (Looks like frosting!  Ohhh my!)

Viola!  There, you have coconut butter.  Actually, vanilla coconut butter.  I think next time I will add vanilla bean to it.  That will look so pretty!  Specks in the coconut butter!  Dang!

I ran out of bigger jars so i used 2 small jars.  (recycle your glass jars for any storage such as pickle jars, sauerkraut jars, or Peanut or almond butter jars)  You get ideas.  Love them!  Saves money too!

After that, I was so ready for some crossfit workout!  I had too much energy. I was ready to burn it off!  Damn the fat burning powder drink I had earlier this morning!  Too much for me.

Crossfit WOD: (By the way I got to participate with the class again today!  I was so happy!)

Great workout!  I liked it!   Shoulder to overhead (it's like push press)  I didn't use #75 bar this time. I used #65 bar because I wasn't certain of my balance with the surgical boot and I didn't do the bar pull ups either, again, because of the surgical boot.  I used ring rows instead.   I gotta be smart about this.  Result below

Meli: 4/4 19 pull ups in 20 minutes cap, not bad, I think?   I didn't finish from 15-1.  I stopped at 4 SO (shoulder to overhead) and sit-ups.  I had to do pull ups penalty.  Don't ask me, it was hard to maintain my balance with the boot on to do SO as fast as I could.  Recovery time, you gotta expect to go slow or light with weights.  I will pick all my shit up after my feet return to normal.  I plan to!

Again, I chugged down a protein smoothie.  I made ABJ protein smoothie again just like yesterday.  It was frigging delicious, I'm telling you!  (Almond butter and jelly)  The recipe is in the previous blog Day 9 and 10, I think.

I didn't really have lunch except 2 pieces of beef jerky.  I was full from the protein smoothie drink.  Then I prepped dinner.  

Right now, it is in the oven cooking.  It's almost time to turn the broiler on to brown my chicken thighs.  

Chicken thighs with skin on, trimmed. Orange peel. Sea Salt. Coarse black pepper.  Zest of 2 clementine or 1 large navel orange, and its juice too.

About 3 TBS or 4.

In a large mixing bowl, 3 TBS of orange peel, and zest of 1 naval or 2 clementine orangse, 2 TBS of sea salt, and 1 TBS of coarse black pepper.   Then place chicken things in the mixing bowl with seasonings and coat well.

Place chicken thighs in the dutch oven with skin facing up.  Squeeze fresh orange juice over chicken thighs.  Cover and bake at 300 degrees for 2.5-3 hours. As usual, place them on the lowest rack in the oven.  Reason: slow cooks for 3 hours so you don't want your chicken to overcook or too dry.  
  Take the top off 10 minutes before dinner time and broil for 10 more minutes or until browned and crispy.  Oh I cannot wait!!!!  When they are done, I will post another picture in the next blog!


Enjoy your dinner and evening!

Be right back!

Meli Emmons














No comments:

Post a Comment