Monday, February 3, 2014

From Day 19-23 Find out how we stuck to our challenge during out of town weekend

On Day 19, we had to leave for Howe (1 hour north of Dallas) to visit my parents for the weekend.  It was for my father's retirement party.  I will be telling you how we stuck to our 30 day Paleo Challenge during the whole weekend.  It was hard but I stayed committed to it.  My mom was supportive of our lifestyle eating clean.  Of course, my mom cooked the traditional way for the others who are not Paleo.  I will go on with Day 19 first.  

That day, we had eggs for breakfast and latte.  Then I prepped lunch so they'd be ready when we got back from our noon Crossfit.

Before Crossfit, I decided to make bacon wrapped veggies and avocados as our post workout meal.


Yellow bell peppers, poblano peppers, and avocados.
Wrap bacon over veggies and avocados and place them on your broiler pan.
Set your oven at 375 degrees hot and bake these for 30 minutes then turn these over and bake for another 30 mins or less.  Just until your Bacon are crispy. When they were done.  I turned off the oven and left these in there to keep these warm until we returned from Crossfit.

We definitely had a great workout.  We needed that before the 4-5 hours road trip.    In my case with my surgical boot, I couldn't do Double Under, so I did bicep curls, bench press, and shoulder press instead with dumbbell.   I rowed 500 M instead of Run 400 M.  I back squatted at #95 instead of #115.  My ankles were not quite ready for heavy weights yet.  Also, remember, I haven't squatted for nearly 3 months so I had to start out with light weights first and gradually increase weights weekly.  That WOD, we had 25 minutes cap to finish.  I finished that in 17-18 minutes.
After my husband finished his WOD, he laid back on the mat.  This is his sweat print!  Awesome, isn't it!
This is what they looked like when they were done and left in the oven to keep these warm.  (Of course turn off the heat once they were done)  We ate those immediately after workout.


Right before the road trip, we had to wait for our kids to get home from school.   We planned on leaving around 5 to 5 30 PM.  We had to eat dinner at home first.  We didn't want to stop at a restaurant on our way because we would get to my parents' house too late.  Here's what we ate for dinner.  See blow.
Tuna Salad Lettuce Wrap.  (Add EVOO to your tuna and then add sauerkraut, lemon juice, salt and pepper)

We packed beef jerky and pistachio nuts for our road trip snacks.  We brought a lot of water bottles. Trust me, we had to pull over to pit stops several times.   We arrived our parents house at about 10 PM.  Smooth traffic, thank god!



Day 20!  10 more days until day 30!  Time flew!  I didn't think about when day 30 was gonna come at all.  You forgot all about it because you were busy on eating clean.  I even forgot about blogs to keep up with over the weekend.  We were busy with my families.   

Anyway, my mom made breakfast for us!  Eggs and bacon! Breakfast tacos for others in the family. Coffee.  (We bought unsweetened vanilla almond milk on our way!)  My mom even had coconut oil!  She does add coconut oil in her coffee too!  Then I got ready for my hair appointment with my bestie!  Then we got ready for my father's retirement party!!  At the party, they had yummy veggies and fruits.  No protein!  *gasp*  But we planned on eating out afterwards.

The retirement party was wonderful!  My dad was so happy!  We were so proud of him!  44 years of working nonstop, so loyal.  The staff there said that my dad was the best boss they ever had.  They are going to miss him greatly!  I know my dad will stop by the company to visit.  I don't think he can let them go.  They have been part of his life too.  His people were sad to see him go.   I know they will visit eventually soon.  So happy for my dad!

Afterwards, we were gonna stop by BWW, but they reeked of cigarettes!  Yuck!  So, we stopped by MooYah.  Very Paleo friendly!  I had Turkey Burger Lettuce Wrap!  See below.  And sweet potatoes fries too!
Turkey Burger, Avocados, Bacon, Lettuce Wraps with mustard!  Sweet potato fries too!  We didn't eat all of that.  Too full from veggies and fruits at the retirement party.

Continuing on Day 20, the evening.  Let me tell you something about my family.  We grew up eating junk foods!  Chips, desserts, ice creams, popcorn, etc...  that is us.  Sodas too.  My kids pigged out on those, of course because we don't have much of those at our home.  Ha.  My mom had pantry almost full of junks, especially chips and cookies!!  My parents brought home a huge sheet of retirement party cake.  They all stood out in front of our eyes.  We always visit in the kitchen and dining room.  Those yummy ASD (American Standard Diet) food were trying to lurk us into eating these alive!  But, I ignored these bad food.  I stuck to eating grapes and grapes and grapes.  Grapes have a lot of sugar too but better than ASD junkies.  Grapes really cleaned me out in the toilet. Haha. 

My  mom made yummy dinner!  We had chicken breast and spinach with tomatoes, they were all baked together in a roster pan in the oven.  We also had some salad.  That was it for us.  See, my mom was supportive of us eating Paleo.  My mom told me that sometimes she and Dad eat Paleo.  That is great, right??  I hope they will stick to it almost all the time.  



Day 21

My mom made eggs and sausage.  So good!  And had some coffee too.   Then later, my daughter and I went out to Dallas for a shopping spree and took her to my bestie for her hair appointment.  
Abby, and I stopped at Paradise Bakery Cafe for our late lunch.  I had Fuji apple salad, small bowl.  They were good.  Completely paleo friendly.  I asked the lady to use evoo and vinegar instead.  She was happy to do that for me.    My daughter had half sandwich and a soup.  It was very cold that day too.

When we returned to my parents' house from the shopping spree, my dad made the BEST ribs EVER!  My mom made mashed cauliflowers!  Instead of mashed potatoes for us!  So nice of her to do that!  She made mashed potatoes for other people.   We also had green beans and salad.   Deserts, they had cake, cookies, etc... of course.  I didn't have any desserts afterwards.  Ribs dinner was my last meal.

These are the ribs my dad were making in his smoker.  He still used the fewest ingredients for his ribs, always.  The fewer ingredients the better they taste.  Sorry there are no pictures of after cooked ribs.  I was so busy visiting my family and my bestie and her family came over to visit.  

Day 22, the day of Super Bowl!  It got so cold overnight.  It was going to freeze later.  Eric my husband made us wake up so frigging early like at 7 30 AM.  We had to pack up and leave by 830 AM.  My husband did not want to miss super bowl!  At all!  So, we missed breakfast but we did have coffee with my parents first.  My kids were too tired to eat breakfast so they didn't mind eating later on our way back home.

By 9-20 AM, we stopped by Starbucks and got kids breakfast sandwiches.  And some more coffee.  I had latte, but I did get half and half creamer.  They didn't have almond milk but soy milk!  I refused to use soy milk because it had 17 grams of sugar!!!! IT is bad for you anyway, the soy.  Half and half creamer only had less than 1 gram of sugar.  Either that or black coffee.  I cannot stand black coffee, I would have a heart burn!  Or crap in my pants in the middle of road trip.  I had to have something buffer in my coffee.  After all, whey protein isolate is dairy. 

Lunch time, we stopped by Hooters and ordered  Lemon Pepper wings to go!  Again, my husband did not want to miss Super Bowl at all. He was afraid we would get stuck in traffic or going so slow due to icy bridges.  He wanted to get home safely. 

When we were close to home, we stopped by H-E-B in Taylor to buy chili stuff to make for dinner.  It was so cold outside so it was perfect.  Game and chili go well together!   My children's father and his girlfriend were coming over too.  They made guacamole dip and veggies too.

Aren't those gorgeous!  Guacamole dip made by Kristin.  All fresh ingredients!  Carrots and celery.
Prepped Chili.  4 lbs of ground beef into my Le Creuset Dutch Oven using stove top to cook.  Brown your beef before adding other ingredients.
These are the ingredients I used to make chili.  1 large can of crushed tomato, and 1 large can of tomato puree.  (I didn't use 2 cans of puree, fyi) and a small can of paste.  2 boxes of False Alarm Mild Chili.

Ingredients in the False Alarm.  I love those because they have separated spices bags in a box.   And see Masa flour in there?  I skipped using them!  It's a big N0-N0!
I used all of the ingredients but masa flour.  Proof.  Anyway, I mixed all of  ingredients into browned beef and tomatoes .  I stirred well and test tasted to see if that needed anything more.  Absolutely!  I had to add plenty of sea salt in there and used the emptied large tomato can and filled that with water 2 times and poured that into the pot.  To make that less thick, of course.  I also had Chili powder in a bottle and added more of that in the pot too.  My suggestion is to omit tomato paste.  Then you wouldn't need to add more chili powder or water in there.   You have to test taste your chili and make some adjustment to your liking.
Chili topped with avocados.  That looked like cheese, but they are not!!  Photo effect from Instagram.


What a disappointment.  Denver Broncos lost the Super Bowl game.  Seriously, they were off.  They weren't being themselves.  They played weakly.  I suspected they partied the night before.  So unfocused.  They didn't play like that at all the whole football season.  So strange.  But, happy for Seattle's, though.  They worked hard and they deserved it.  Their first Super Bowl champion!  Well played!


Day 22, finally, I'm caught up with current up to date blogs.  Today.  This morning.  I had some latte, oh how I have missed my Nespresso!!!

I had kale eggs for breakfast.  Fried eggs and kale cooked together in a small skillet with top covered so the eggs would be cooked.  I would say Steamed not Fried.  Anyway, I also added a dollop of guacamole dip.  So yummy!

My breakfast.
Ready for my Monday's Crossfit!  I am going to try to remove my surgical boot and of course that will set me back in working out much slower today.  I will have to be more gentle with my left foot and see how it can do without the boot.  If that hurts more than it should, I will put the boot back on and continue wearing that for another week.


I'll be back later for blogs later.  I'm getting tired of typing already!

Have a great Monday and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment